- The Undergraduate Research Apprenticeship Program (URAP) provides a central list of research projects that are available for undergraduates in different departments across campus. For undergraduates how stick with with a project during the fall and spring semesters there are some $2500 stipends available to continue research over the summer. Undergraduates apply for the Fall 2014 program starting on August 21-- we should consider getting some research opportunity postings up there.
- The Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF) provides funding for a small number of exceptional undergraduates to do research over the summer. Students apply at the end of February/beginning of March. If you have talented undergrad working with you make sure they know about this!
- The NSF Research Experience for Undgraduates (REU) program provides some funding for undergraduates to work on NSF funded research projects. This may be on mechanism to get funding for an undergraduate research assistant.
- The Undergraduate-Graduate Mentorship Program (UGMP) pairs undergraduates with graduates students to get mentorship advice, for example, on preparing to apply for graduate school. Applications to participate in the spring program are due at the beginning of December.
Mentorship of younger students
- The Summer Math and Science Honors (SMASH) Topics in Current Science Research course is an opportunity to lead a simple research project with small group of underprivleged high school students.